A few basic rules about security:
- Keep your operating system up to date. That means using the latest version of Windows, Apple or Android.
- Make sure you have Antivirus and Antispyware Software installed and keep it up to date.
- Protect yourself from online scams.
- Beware of Scam Emails. DO NOT click on web links in Emails or open attachments unless your sure of the content.
- Protect your privacy online. Do not give out personnel details.
- Do not use pirated software, especially your operating system.
- Use strong passwords and different passwords for different sites.
- Take care when buying online - research the supplier and use a safe payment method like Paypal or a pre-paid credit card.
- Take care when installing programs. Read all the options and UN-Tic those items wanting to install additional programs or tool bars.
- Be alert about claims for free downloads and free scans to remove malware from your computer. Rogue programs will install themselves on
your PC and give you false notifications that you have a virus or other malware in order to take your money.
- Be alert for Driver Update claims. Do not download Driver Update programs.
- Back up your Files to an external device.
- Perform a Disk Clean. Clean house (remove left over junk programs and files). CCleaner is a good program to use.
- Keep your computer clean (Physically).
- Ask for help when you need it
- Don't procrastinate.
Read about the Latest Threats at these web sites:
Stay Smart Online
Truth or Fiction.com
US-CERT Cyber Security Bulletin
- This page last updated on 21 March 2019